Saturday, September 29, 2007

Operatic Sillies

I tried to make missmachismo post this excerpt from an email she sent me, but nothing has come of it. So, I'm just going to put it here and she'll have to yell at me later for violating her privacy if she wants...


I went to the opera this evening. It was expensive, but I thought it
was probably worth it since I only go once a year. It was Iphigenie et
Tauride. I was too far away to read the surtitles (plus the staging
was REALY DARK ALL THE TIME which didn't really leave enough light to
read them by) so I didn't really have a good idea of what was going on
all the time. I gather that Iphigenie was seperated from her family
and became a priestess on a distant isle. Years later she is made to
sacrifice her brother Oreste only she can't once she know its him. And
then it turns out that Diana says she can stop being a priestess now,
and Oreste finds out that he is the prince (I think) and Pyride the
friend of Oreste comes to save home only it isn't neccessary - And
after a WHOLE LOTS of DISMAL reflection on CONFLICT and PARANOIA, it
ends happily. Strange really. One isn't expecting it at all. And
naturally, since it is an opera, this all takes ages to work out when
really, it could have been:

I: Alas what a cruel fate is mine.
T: We need to kill these shipwrecked people to appease the GOds!
O: Rats, I hate being cursed by the Gods.
P: Well, I'm glad at least I won't be seperated from you in Death, OReste
O: Famous notion.
I: I can't do it. Wait! I'll onlt kill one of you, and the other can
take a letter to my family in Greece.
O&P: Sure thing. Sounds great.
I: Right, so, I guess I pick of you to die then (points at P)
P: I am happy to have the honour of saving my freind
O: Oh no! I couldn't be happy with that. Take me instead.
(Much more of the same, resulting in..)
O: GOod, that's decided then. I'll die. You mail the letter.
P: Alas!
Chorus of Priestesses: GET ON WITH THINGS
I: I can't do it! Diana please remove remaining vestiges of humanity.
O: You must! And anyway, who cares I am cursed.
I: Okay
O: Here I go, killed by my sister.
I: Really? Oh my brother! I won't kill you.
T: HONESTLY WOMAN, you're the priestess and we have to appease the GODS.
P: HEY! STOP MURDERING MY FRIEND!
(battle ensues until...)
I: STOP this is Oreste son of Aganemnon so he is king.
T: oh, well, I guess we can't kill the king. But what about your sacred duties?
Diana: She can stop and go home now.
O&I: Great!
P: Sorry, I'm a bit lost.
Chorus: So that's that then.


heehee, there you are. Something to brighten your Saturday morning, or possibly Saturday night if you live IN THE FUTURE. Or don't check my blog very often on the (correct) assumption that I never update it.

4 Comments:

At 2:19 p.m., Blogger Crypto said...

Haha. I do remember that there are many reasons why I don't go to the opera.

I guess I live in the future. Also I let the Atom (or RSS) feed regularly check your blog for me, so I get your posts fresh. In the future.

 
At 5:11 p.m., Blogger annika fox said...

THANK YOU FOR THIS MESSAGE FROM THE FUTURE, FUTURE WOMAN. DOES THE FUTURE KNOW THAT I DID AN ONLINE QUIZ IN NORWEGIAN AND I THINK IT TURNED OUT RIGHT?

 
At 6:01 p.m., Blogger Elizabette Langdon said...

Hehe I love that shortened outline of an opera! There is nothing like distilling some two hours to a mere twenty lines!

 
At 1:57 p.m., Blogger Crypto said...

Yes, future woman found out about the test via her husband's facebook account, and I am very impressed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home