Saturday, January 17, 2009

In Which I Truly Become Mennonite



I have begun work on a quilt as a present for my coworker.  After a miscarriage and several years of trying, she and her husband are finally expecting.  In general, I do not find babies terribly interesting until they are old enough to sass me, but I am thrilled for her.  Hence, a baby quilt.  

Given the other crafts I do, it's a bit surprising I haven't made a quilt before.  But without a sewing machine I was worried about keeping my seams accurate.  This might be a total disaster, but I am hoping that keeping the top very, very simple I can ensure that it will at least be mostly gape-free.  If it works out I will use the rest of my material to make a quilt for MCC.

It's not fully Menno in the sense that at least half of the materials were purchased new.  But I still only spent $13.55  so far, so I think that kind of frugality has to count for something.  I gazed longingly at the fancy left handed fabric scissors at Dressew, but came virtuously home without and painstakingly cut out squares with our useless kitchen scissors.

Unfortunately, I have now come to an impasse.  Do I make a nice little nine patch design or do a sort of psuedo-colourwash?  (It really is a bit more colourwashy than it looks here; the colours are absolutely unlike the photos.)


3 Comments:

At 2:09 p.m., Blogger Francesca said...

Is it finished yet?

 
At 6:32 a.m., Blogger annika fox said...

I will post when it is finished!

 
At 12:14 p.m., Blogger Debobeena said...

I think your hard work will pay off, the quilt looks lovely. I'm sure the baby will love it and use it well. :)

As for your other posts, the pictures of food look mouth-wateringly delicious! I am so glad that you've been able to use your home grown parley; the food I'm sure tastes all that much better. :)

I do hope you're feeling better- with reference to your back pain.

I really liked all your posts!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home